Thursday, July 3, 2008

A Caregiver Testimonial

A Caregiver Testimonial

Written by : Sabrina Corpuz (Lifeline International Health Institute)

I was born from a family in a very comfortable lifestyle. Wherein I was given all the love and care a child could expect from a family. I grew up with flying colors, I went to the best schools and I was given all the treasures in life. As I grew up, I got the opportunity to take up a medical course. And then that was also the time when storms flooded into my life. I felt that my dreams slowly fading away. And my loved ones departed to me one by one. After that I felt so very unlucky. It seemed that I was carrying all the burdens by myself.


During this trying time in my life, I felt helpless and had no definite path or purpose. I turned to God for guidance. As days go by, relying and having faith on him bit by bit turned my luck around. I had gotten jobs and countless opportunities. From all this I learned a very valuable lesson, in order to have what you want, you need to strive hard, stand on your own two feet, and have faith in God that he will guide your way.


And so I went on to become a caregiver. Now, you might ask why I took up a course to take care of people. A job, which others would say is the low end of medical courses, a course where disappointed wannabe nurses take. Well, partially, it may be true. I am a disappointed nurse wannabe. But at this point in my life, I want to give back what God had given me, and that is hope. Yes, I did not finish my medical studies but doesn’t meant that I took this just to be in a medical course. I took caregiving program because I want to help people who can’t help themselves, to be able to prolong a person’s life, to let him or her enjoy life, to unease their pain and suffering.


Being a caregiver is hard work, yes, but rarely do you have the opportunity to work giving joy and care as your primary service? Yes, being a caregiver is good financially, but larger than money, what you receive in exchange for your kindness and attentiveness to other peoples needs is a warm smile, a tight embrace and knowing that in your own little way, you had helped.


Currently, massive migration of Filipino caregivers had become almost of a phenomenon. We don’t need the statistics to know that Caregiving is one of the leading employment opportunities abroad. This is also one of the main reasons why I decided to become a Caregiver. Being financially stable, which can stand on her own two feet probably be called one of the most important achievements of a person today. Coming from a well off life, I had strived to adjust to a life that is independent of other persons, and this led me to believe that this course would help me achieve my dreams.


Lastly, I had learned that Caregiving is not the low end of the medical course, it may lack the sophistication of a nurse, but it is no way different. I am proud to say I am a caregiver, that I would give it my all to provide quality service to whomever I am employed, and to treat this not as a job, but as a vocation. In order for us Filipinos to stand out with the rest, we should lift up our credibility, and provide the hospitality that Filipinos are known worldwide.


I would like to share these words from Bernadette Devlin that would give relevance for all us. “Yesterday I dared to struggle, today I dare to win.”

No comments: